Friday, December 10, 2010
Room to Read
This Charlie Rose interview of John Wood, founder of Room to Read and former Microsoft employee, is music to my ears - it also explains why I became a librarian. I became a librarian because of my experience developing a library for the secondary school in Namibia where I was an English teacher with the Peace Corps. In my spare time, I solicited and secured books from international and local donors; labeled, registered and arranged the library according to the Dewey Decimal System; and educated students and staff on the proper use and maintenance of the library. The most vivid memory I have is of the students huddled excitedly around a book showing an illustration of the ascent of man. Their faces showed what a revolutionary idea this was to them and that look in itself was why I became a librarian. I thought "wow, if books can do this, I want to bring books to children." It was really amazing. My goal at that time was to get my Masters In Library Science and then go off to build libraries in developing countries. I did get my MLS and have been working in academic libraries for 15 years, but I have yet to take my know-how to the developing world. Mr. Wood is living my dream.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Yes, yes, yes!
ReplyDelete